The leaking pond
In a previous blog I mentioned that the one of our ponds had developed a leak! The pond was built about 19 years ago so I expected a fair amount of silt. “Do I really have to get into this?”“Who planting all these waterlilies?”“That’s better we can actually see some water now”“OK, where did you say the fish were?”“That silt will be a great mulch for the garden”Temporary store for the water lilies which will need to be watered frequently.And we found some treasure! Having dug down six inches below the liner and previous pond floor level we found a midden of old bottles, perfume, drink medicine etc.
We did manage to catch a number of fish, newts and frogs and they now have a new home in one of our other ponds. So the next stage will be to put the pond back together, a subject for a later blog.
The contractor doing this work is David Greaves
At last I can announce that the moss from between the cobbles has been removed. See Yew balls,cobbles and creepersAs you can see it is quite a large area and Diane has spent at least 30 hours doing it by hand!The tools for the job. She tells me it will need doing again in 10 years. Quite a job!
Autumn in the garden
It continues to be dry and hot which has resulted in autumn coming early to parts of the garden. Some of this has been removed together with the errant weeds although we do like to leave some of the seed heads for the birds.
|This week||Total since June 19th||Average per week|